Please read The Learning Center’s (TLC’s) enrollment information in its entirety before filling out the Enrollment Application. The Application must be completed for your child to be put on TLC’s wait list for potential placement.
Criteria for Admission
- The Learning Center at The Els Center of Excellence is open to students that meet the enrolment policies criteria, ages 3-14, and have an Individualized Educational Plan that indicates primary eligibility for services for Autism Spectrum Disorder ages 3-14, or Developmentally Disabled primary eligibility for ages 3-5.
- The Learning Center Shall not enroll any student who is under a current term of suspension or expulsion.
Interested parents/guardians seeking enrollment at The Learning Center must submit an enrollment application (application can be found at www.thelearningcenter.org) along with an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Once the application and IEP are submitted, the student will be placed on TLC’s Wait List.
The Learning Center enrolls new students into the school based upon availability within individual homogeneously grouped classrooms. The individual and cumulative needs of the students in each classroom determines the availability of spaces within those classrooms. Maximum capacity of each classroom, and consequently capacity of the school, fluctuates based upon these unique student needs. TLC’s capacity determinations is identified on the school’s website. Capacity is affected by the availability within individual homogeneously grouped classrooms, facility constraints, teacher to student ratios, as well the types of services that are identified in the Individual Education Plan. TLC reserves the right to periodically adjust the capacity throughout the school year in consideration of the above variables and fiscally sound considerations.
When it is deemed that there is space for a new student in a classroom, available spaces are filled from students on the TLC Wait List through a peer-match lottery.
- When an opening becomes available, TLC administration will review the records provided for the students currently on the wait list to determine appropriate candidates for the opening. Parents/guardians will be contacted to determine if there remains an interest in placement at The Learning Center. If the family is still interested in potential enrollment; current records, including medical and educational evaluations, will be requested. Student evaluation files will be reviewed by the administrative staff.
- If the records meet the criteria for the opening, an interview will be scheduled. Parents/guardians must accompany the candidate to the interview. The administrative staff will conduct an intake at that time.
- If the number of appropriate applicants exceeds the capacity of the program, class, grade level, or facilities all appropriate applicants shall have an equal chance of being admitted through a peer match random selection process (lottery) in accordance with state law. Names will be drawn until the capacity for a particular program, class, grade level or building has been filled. Parents will be notified of their child’s acceptance after the acceptance period and will have no more than two weeks, as specifically outlined, in their acceptance notification to inform the school of their decision to attend.
Controlled Open Enrollment Policy
DEFINITION: “controlled open enrollment” means a public education delivery system that allows school districts & charter schools to make student school assignments using parents’ indicated preferential educational choice as a significant factor.
Students residing outside of Palm Beach County may apply to TLC through the Controlled Open Enrollment process. To request student assignment through Controlled Open Enrollment, an application must be submitted to The Learning Center indicating the county in which the student currently resides. Once submitted, students will be placed on the “Controlled Open Enrollment TLC Wait List”. Students are selected from this wait list after all peer-matched students residing in Palm Beach County have been provided an option to fill an opening. Students residing in The Palm Beach County School district, including charter school students, may not be displaced by a student from another district seeking enrollment under the controlled open enrollment process.
Scope of Assignment
- An assignment through Enrollment and Controlled Open Enrollment shall remain in effect until the parent chooses to withdrawal their child.
- Registration Forms must be completed annually to procure a seat for the following academic school year.
Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K): Controlled open enrollment options are not available for pre-k students (Fla.Stat.1002.31).
Parents must transport their students at their own costs.
Preference in the Enrollment Process
Fla. Stat. § 1002.31 requires schools to provide preferential treatment in their controlled open enrollment process for students meeting the following criteria: (Verification will be required).
Based on The Learning Centers Charter, Criteria for Admission, Enrollment Procedures, Controlled Open Enrollment Policy, and Preference in the Enrollment Process, the following students who are a peer-match will receive preference in the enrollment process before other students on the TLC Wait List.
- Per statute preferential treatment in its controlled open enrollment process applies to all of the following:
- Dependent children of active duty military personnel whose move resulted from military orders.
- Children who have been relocated due to a foster care placement in a different school zone.
- Children who move due to a court-ordered change in custody due to a separation or divorce, or the serious illness or death of a custodial parent.
- Students residing in Palm Beach County
- Siblings of students already attending The Learning Center
- Siblings applying together (Siblings are defined as brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, or stepsister, living in the same household).
- Children of The Learning Center staff members
- Children of The Learning Center Board of Directors
Based on The Learning Centers Charter, Criteria for Admission, Enrollment Procedures, Controlled Open Enrollment Policy, and Preference in the Enrollment Process, TLC’s peer-match lottery process is as follows:
- If a spot is available within a given classroom, the TLC Waiting List will be evaluated to determine which student(s) would qualify as a peer-match based on the skill levels of the other existing students in the given classroom.
- Of the qualified students, Palm Beach County residents from the TLC Waiting List will be provided first option to enroll.
- If there is more than one student who meets the peer-match criteria, all matching applicant names will be included in a random lottery.
- One name will be randomly selected to fill the given space.
- If there are not any students on the TLC Wait List (i.e., students residing in Palm Beach County) who are a peer-match for the available spot, then students will be considered from the Controlled Open Enrollment TLC Wait List (i.e., students residing outside of Palm Beach County).
- If there is more than one student who meets the peer-match criteria from the Controlled Open Enrollment Wait List, all matching applicant names will be included in a random lottery.
- One name will be randomly selected to fill the given space.
These enrollment policies will apply to all students seeking enrollment into The Learning Center regardless of demographics, previous school attended, contributions to The Learning Center, or when enrollment application was submitted. TLC will adhere to federal desegregation requirements and provide an appeals process for hardship cases.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for answers to common questions. Please submit the printed form to Melisa Scott, Office Manager,
Email: email@example.com Fax: 561-320-9501
Mail: The Learning Center – Attn: Melisa Scott
To download The Learning Center's enrollment form, click the link below. Please submit the printed form to Melisa Scott, Office Manager, by:
The Learning Center - Attn: Melisa Scott
18370 Limestone Creek Rd.
Jupiter, FL 33458